Monday, August 23, 2010

Attack of the Killer Garage

The day after I was granted my driver's license I wrecked four cars, a garage, and a house with one vehicle. No one else was driving. Just me. Jealous? Yeah, probably not.

My aunt was visiting our house and had parked her car (naturally) in our driveway. I was awaiting a first date from a guy that I was completely in love with. He tried to pull into our driveway but could not because my aunt's car was too far back. My aunt says to me, "Oh Candice! You can move it!! You have your license now! Here you go!" She tossed the keys to her car my way. I didn't even catch them. That should have been a sign for what was to come...


I took the keys anyway and headed to her car to move it forward.


I slowly pressed the gas pedal and moved forward. I had pulled forward enough for dreamy boyfriend to pull in. As I pressed on the brakes, the car didn't stop.


I panicked and slammed on the 'other' pedal thinking I had my foot on the wrong pedal. I did not. The car quickly accererated and slammed into the garage. (I had been used to the Blue Beast's amazing ability to quickly stop as my foot commanded it to stop.)



So of course, the car didn't just hit the garage. The garage door fell from it's hinges onto the two cars parked inside of the garage.


Then, the garage collaped onto the two cars in the driveway. One of the cars inside of the garage did not have its parking brake engaged. That car crashed through the other side of the garage.


I was frozen in fear. I prayed that this was just a dream....







My mom on the left, Aunt on the right




My dad took an hour long walk. I'm not even sure he spoke to me that night.

Dreamy boyfriend stuck around for a while, but I never did get a raincheck on that date.

I worked for a long time paying for the deductibles on my aunt's and parent's insurances as well as the house insurance deductible....I think they helped out... Unfortunately, this was not at all the last accident I had that year...and this was in October.


Next in my driving history: The left arrows aren't just there for variety..

4 comments:

  1. When I was 26, I jumped the curb and almost ran into the leasing office of an apartment complex. I was stopped by a snow bank. I backed up, got out, looked around for any witnesses, and played it off like I was the coolest person on earth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long did you stay locked safely in the car?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you draw mom REALLY REALLY SHORT or is Aunt Clarissa's hair really really tall

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL Kotyonok. When are you going to start your blog?

    Josh-I think I was in the car for about 3 or 4 minutes before I opened the door. My mom and aunt were very supportive and took it easy on me. Although nowadays I think it may have been worth it because it's a funny story they like to tell...

    Nicki-Yes, to both. :D

    ReplyDelete